Sunday 7 April 2013

Work/Hair

Hi!
So, I thought I would talk a bit about my job today.  I work at a private school where I teach both preschool and elementary.  My mornings are with the preschoolers, who are about 5-6 years old.  My homeroom is filled with children who have never taken English before.  The first month was quite challenging because I was trying to get them used to the routine, but they didn't understand what I wanted them to do.  It would have been nice to have a Korean teacher in the class to help the children understand that sooner.  It has started to get easier with them now that they understand what they are supposed to be doing.  

I have had some training in teaching how to teach English and classroom management, but with 12 5/6 year olds it is very difficult at times.  Especially because I have two boys that, if I turn my back on them for a second, they are out of their desks and talking to and/or hitting someone.  Two of the other boys are like that only 70% of the time, and the other two occasionally get sucked in.  So, basically half the class is bouncing off the walls the majority of the time.  This has been very frustrating at times, and I have tried many things.  Although, now that they understand more they are easier to manage, so here's hoping it keeps getting better.  As far as the first two boys go, they to are getting better but there is still an incident at least once a day (and that's a good day).  My supervisors advice: Keep a closer eye on them.  After every incident I'm told I need to keep a closer eye on them.  I find that frustrating because I do keep an eye on them but they are faster, and stealthier, than ninjas when it comes to sneaking out of their seat and making contact with another, but you should see how slow they move when it is something I need them to be doing.  They then move at a sloth-like speed.  I guess the parents out there can understand what I mean.

My other class I have eight 5-6 year olds, there were 10, but the other two dropped out.  One of which was because of the other students.  This class is much easier to handle because they understand what I'm saying and they know the rules of the school.  That being said, I have two boys in that class that are difficult to handle, but next to the other class it's cake.  I find that they learn English in kind of a weird order.  They learn some vocabulary, but then they learn how to read and then learn more vocabulary as they go.  So, this class can read.  They don't always understand what they are reading, but they can read.  They even want my other class to be learning how to read, which I find difficult because they don't understand enough yet.

In the afternoons I have elementary classes.  These students are between 8 and 11 years old.  These classes are easy breezy, although one of the classes had started to get too chatty.  With the help of the Korean teacher I was able to get them to quiet down a bit.  I find the preschool classes to be quite draining, but the elementary classes usually help me to regain some energy.  I don't really have many breaks for lesson planning and I was just given another class, which means I know have less time for lesson planning.  Over all I am enjoying my teaching experience so far.  The younger children can be difficult to handle, but for the most part it's going pretty well.

I hope that was of some use to my former tesl/esl classmates.  That's enough about work.  Not much happened this weekend.  I finally broke down and  re-activated my facebook account.  I don't know if that is a permanent thing or not, but I am now back.  I also got my hair cut today.  It's not what I was going for so I'm a little disappointed, especially when I think how Sarah KN. would have nailed it.  It's a cute cut, kind of a 60's bob, but I was going for a long pixie, so it missed the mark.  It's and inch or two too long in some areas and the shape isn't right.  I didn't really realize it until I was already home and tried to style it.  I don't think the guy had ever cut a pixie type cut before.  Again he did a good job with what he did, it just wasn't what I was looking for.  So, I think I'm going to have to get it re-cut somewhere.  One thing I find amusing about the salon I was at is that they double team you with the blow drying.  The stylist has an assistant to hand them things, and then blow dries on command.  They take it seriously.

Well, that's all for now.  I should have something more exciting for you next week.  Have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment